Manager – Digital Delivery + BIM Lead
Description of Firm
BNKC Architects is a mid-sized firm with 50 years’ experience in providing a wide range of architectural and urban design services. The firm is dedicated to enhancing an award-winning design history while serving clients through exemplary professional attention to project execution. Currently the firm is engaged in major mixed-use residential, academic, commercial, and institutional architectural projects in the GTA, as well as significant urban design projects, both locally and internationally.
BNKC is seeking an ambitious, passionate, enthusiastic and detail-oriented Manager, Digital Delivery + BIM Lead. The successful candidate will have 5+ year’s professional Canadian experience in architectural design and implementation.
The successful candidate will possess a curiosity for innovation in digital design and project delivery, have the ability to advance the technical skills of others, and enjoy assisting project teams to achieve their full potential. AI and generative design software skills would be a definite positive.
This position will appeal to anyone wishing to expand their range of experience and looking for growth within a cooperative team environment.
They are expected to consult with their direct report to solve design, technical, production or scope of which they become aware. The firm relies on them to develop excellent working relationships with their colleagues in the studio.
Manager Digital Delivery
- Provide guidance and leadership in all aspects of the firm’s digital practice, including but not limited to client relationship management, financial considerations, and project information management
- Advance the development of our Technical Manual to assist staff in complying with BNKC’s digital delivery
- Assist in improving profitability for BNKC’s projects through integrated project delivery systems
- Produce a yearly Digital Delivery Strategic Plan encompassing short-term, mid-term, and long-term goals
- Continually assess the needs, manage the budget, and recommend the purchase of software for all aspects of the firm’s operations.
- Provide analyses of the firm’s existing practices, perform user scenarios of the firm’s workflows and report to the firm’s leadership
- Investigate, actively support, and be kept apprised of ongoing improvements to BNKC’s design and automation tools and best practice workflows
- Assemble, lead, and maintain a BIM team
- Deliver additional value by discerning the clients’ evolving needs
BIM Lead Support and Training
- Work with studio leaders to develop standards and templates, model management and content development
- Facilitate creative protocols for critical elements, including communication, data exchange, and 3D workspace
- Assist project teams in the effective use of software, including the development and implementation of BIM Execution Plans (BxP)
- Audit and refine existing Revit content and detail libraries
- Assist with the implementation of BNKC’s Revit standards and collaborate with project teams to optimize digital workflows
- Integrate consultants’ information into BNKC’s digital workflows by establishing guidelines and standards
- Train and assess staff’s digital literacy directly related to the firm’s operations
- Facilitate digital delivery training for new and existing employees
Projects and Management
- Implement and facilitate project management software to assist teams in delivering a holistic approach
- Oversight of new projects utilizing Revit, specifying project information, defining positioning, and creating appropriate project construction phasing
- Supporting and monitoring projects for quality compliance and management of data integrity and organization
- Provide ongoing technical support to project teams and assist with the creation of project-specific parametric families
- Lead project-related clash detection processes and develop associated reports (Navisworks, BIM 360 Coordinate)
- Mentor project teams on best practices and “tips-and-tricks” to improve workflows
- Develop and maintain a technical manual to aid users in improving their skills in compliance with BNKC’s protocols
- Explore virtual reality and augmented reality interfaces to advance techniques of project visualization and coordination
- Coordinate with IT, determine the hardware and software requirements for the firm’s digital delivery
- Assist IT with conducting hardware and software testing to maximize overall performance and collaborate with the IT department to complete annual software and project upgrades
- Assist IT with the deployment of software deployment packages
- Assist IT with tracking, identifying, and resolving software issues
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of experience working in the building design/construction industry
- Expert knowledge of Autodesk Revit
- Knowledge of Rhino, Grasshopper, Dynamo, and Python scripting is an asset
- Thorough understanding of BIM applications and best practices
- Ability to meet challenging time schedules when required
- Detail-oriented and organized with an ability to prioritize tasks and balance conflicting priorities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel and Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated interest in the development of digital delivery solutions within a varied context
- Ability to convey digital delivery concepts to a broad audience with different levels of existing knowledge
- Parametric design experience and scripting is an asset
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Build and maintain high performance, engaged, and motivated team
- Deliver timely feedback and recognition to others
- Build positive working relationships using flexible interpersonal skills to develop strong working relationships with both internal and external parties
- Strong work ethic, ability to work effectively within a group and independently with minimal supervision
To be considered for advancement, BIM Specialist should demonstrate:
- Clear ability to carry out work independently.
- Imagination, persistence and engagement
- Participation in the design dialogue and studio culture.
- Increasing quality in their work and documentation, and service to colleagues.
Please email CV’s and work samples in PDF format only to firstname.lastname@example.org . Word files will not be opened. No telephone enquiries please.
BNKC Architects Inc.
672 Dupont Street, Suite 410
Toronto, ON M6G 1Z6