Architectural Job Captain
Architectural Job Captain
Description of Firm
BNKC Architects is a mid-sized firm with 50 years’ experience in providing a wide range of architectural and urban design services. The firm is dedicated to enhancing an award-winning design history while serving clients through exemplary professional attention to project execution. Currently the firm is engaged in major academic, commercial, and institutional architectural projects in the GTA, as well as significant urban design and mixed-use projects, both locally and internationally.
BNKC is seeking a passionate, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and skilled Job Captain.
The successful candidate will have between 6-8 plus years’ professional Canadian experience in architectural design and implementation. The Job Captain participates in preparing our Revit models and drawings sets while playing an active role in coordination of our internal team and also assists the Project Manager with consultant model coordination. The key role of this position is to produce, manage, and coordinate construction documentation with a focus on quality control and design excellence.
The successful applicant will bring passion, leadership and creativity to the role and will have design development experience and a solid technical background including demonstrated ability to work in Revit and 3D modeling software. Our current portfolio of work includes work in institutional, commercial, and multi-residential design, with a focus on sustainable design.
The successful candidate will possess design skills combined with detailing, design development, contract document experience and excellent knowledge of building envelopes and building systems. The successful candidate has the ability to work collaboratively with clients, consultants and internal team members, they have experience navigating through project workflows and injecting their knowledge along the way. This position will appeal to anyone that has an interest in expanding their range of design practice potential and responsibility within a cooperative team environment.
- Qualified candidates must have a minimum of 6-8 years’ experience, with at least 2 years’ experience as a Job Captain;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to review design concepts, coordinating, and documenting design development from Schematic Design through Construction Administration;
- Excellent technical skills with demonstrated ability to transform design from idea to reality;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- The ability to coordinate with various consulting professionals;
- Strong contract, schedule and budget management skills;
- Strong work ethic, ability to work efficiently and with accuracy;
- Excellent Knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, current building systems, and materials;
- An understanding and experience of the municipal approval process;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proficiency in Revit and Bluebeam is essential;
- Proficiency in Enscape, Sketchup, Navisworks would be considered an asset, but not required;
- Strong conceptual and design skills;
- Intellectually curious and a willingness to learn and take accountability for your role.
- Working closely with the Project Manager or Manager and team to understand budget, scope of work and schedule prior to commencement of a project;
- Liaise with clients, consultants and contractors;
- Reviewing preliminary design concepts, coordinating, and documenting design development from initial planning and Schematic Design through Construction Administration;
- Preparing drawings/documents using Revit in accordance with client specifications, budget, applicable building codes, and project timelines;
- Ensuring work adheres to bnkc drawing standards and reviewing work of other team members for the same;
- Participate in meetings, proposals, and presentations;
- Addressing project team’s day‐to‐day questions or issues that may arise while advising the Project Manager of any quality or accuracy concerns;
- Presenting design solutions to clients, consultants and contractors as required throughout a project’s lifecycle;
- Identifying issues of potential risk proactively during the life of an assigned project.
- A degree or Diploma from an accredited institution in Architecture.
BNKC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
BNKC is committed to the health and safety of our studio members, clients and community. As such, being fully vaccinated, as defined by the Ministry of Health, is a term of employment (refer to: COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario).
Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 as recommended by Public Health and in accordance of The Ontario Human Rights Code.
Please email CV’s and work samples in PDF format only to email@example.com. Word files will not be opened. No telephone enquiries please.
BNKC Architects Inc.
Architecture + Urban Design
672 Dupont Street, Suite 410
Toronto, ON M6G 1Z6